Thursday, March 6, 2008
Here's my delicious, totally non-authentic, and most assuredly flawed recipe for Thai red curry with chicken:
Dash of olive oil
2 chicken breast halves, in strips
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 red bell pepper, in big pieces
2 cups of broccoli, tree-form
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp thai red curry paste
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 can of coconut milk
fresh lime juice, to taste (optional)
crushed peanuts, to taste (optional)
(Other things I also like to add include carrots, tomatoes, green onions, and basil, although I think if you add basil that makes it a green curry...or something)
1. Add oil and chopped onions to a saute pan.
2. Brown onions for about 4 minutes on medium-low heat.
3. Add chicken and garlic to the pan.
4. After about 5 minutes add all of the veggies.
5. Once the chicken is cooked through (probably another 5 minutes), add the coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce, and brown sugar.
6. Serve the mixture over jasmine rice, and if you like, give it a squeeze of lime juice and some crushed peanuts.
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
2 spicy sausage links
1 large carrot, sliced
1 small onion
2 cups cabbage, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ginger
approx. 2 teaspoons soy sauce
crushed red pepper, to taste
sugar, to taste
To prepare, brown chopped onions, spicy sausage, and carrots in a skillet. About 8 minutes later, add crushed red pepper and fresh ginger. Once the mixture has browned, add cabbage, soy sauce, and a wee bit of sugar.
Serve alone or with rice.
(Note: this recipe isn't for everyone. You have to really like cabbage to enjoy it...and even then, I'm not sure anyone besides me would like it)